Sunday, July 4, 2010

Week 7 Blog: Social Class in the U.S.

I think that social class in the United States is of utmost importance to the people that live here. I feel like, since I have gotten older and am able to realize it more now, that people, including myself, cannot go a day without referencing/referring to money. I would even venture to say that money is one of, if not the, most sought-after item in the world. Money is so important to us. We work to make money, we want to earn extra money to go on lavish vacations, we want to make a lot of money so we can have big houses, and we want a lot of money to have all the material things that we desire. We are all guilty of it, even me. But is this a bad thing?

I have started working when I was about 13, pursuing babysitting jobs off and on, and have been working ever since then. For me, I like to be self-sufficient and don't want to worry about asking my parents for money. I even saved up enough money to buy my own car. Unfortunately, it is more important for me, now more than ever, to be as self-sufficient as I can. My dad lost his job 3 months ago and has not had any luck finding any work. Being a single-father is hard enough, but being a single-father without a job is even harder. My sister and I are working very hard to save our money to ensure we are doing our part in helping our dad. We have always had enough money to get by, but the thought of being considered lower class can also be frightening. It makes me worry thinking about the possibility of not having enough money to pay the mortgage, provide food for ourselves, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment