Sunday, June 6, 2010

Week 3 Blog: BBC Comedy Sketch

I thought that this video clip was a little bit hard to interpret, but I think it is probably because I'm not British or because I am American. When looking at Hugh Laurie's appearance, he has on a headband, almost looking like a "hippy" or a "redneck" type of person. This could be what people in Britain portray Americans as. Each time he would say 'America' the crowd would laugh. I guess the more that he said it, the more apparent it was, to me, that American singers write a lot of songs about America. In my opinion, this is a good thing because it shows the pride we have as American's. To other people this may just be annoying. At the end a man comes and knocks out Hugh Laurie, which may symbolize other people being fed up with our songs about America. Overall, it may seem, to a British audience, that the people of America really love America. Although this may be a good thing in the eyes of an American, other nations may think it is arrogant or annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment