When it comes to the nature vs. nurture debate, I have always been a firm believer that we are made up of a mix of the two sides. There is no possible way that I could say I am the way I am due to purely my parents genetics or I am the way I am due solely to how they raised me.
The first thing I think about it, regarding the nurture side of the debate, is how I am a good student/child who always obeys her parents. Neither of my parents were completely like that. They both would sneak out at night and, although my mom was a good student in school, she was a bit mischievous. My dad was a trouble maker and hated going to school. Now, I am none of the things that I just mentioned, which shows that their parenting skills were very good. They instilled, in my siblings and I, that school work is extremely important and that we obey our parents. The Moya kids have all followed that.
The second thing I think about that supports the nature side of things is how much alike my dad and I are. We think the same way on a lot of things and see eye to eye on a variety of issues.
When looking at a hotly debated issue like sexuality, everyone has their own views of gay vs. straight. I think that it isn't a person's choice as to whether or not they are gay or straight, but that you are born one way or another. This would take the nature side of the debate. The nurture side could determine how/when a person 'comes out' to their family and friends. If someone is born into a very strict Christian family who has parents that are not tolerant of homosexuality, then they will likely put off coming out. Since it isn't accepted in the family or the person was raised to dislike homosexuality or to not be tolerant of it, then their experience will be different than someone who has very accepting family and friends.
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment