Sunday, August 1, 2010

Week 11 Blog: Religion

I will start out this blog entry by saying that I find it very hard to talk about religion, especially when it involves society and the government. I think it is because I don't know what I fully believe and I think there are so many pros and cons to different issues the U.S. faces, so it is always impossible for me to pick a side.

The topic I will talk about this week is whether or not I think that the U.S. and/or the world is becoming more secular. This is something that I feel somewhat comfortable talking about, so I would say that I think there are parts of the world that are becoming more secular (the U.S.) and other parts that may be becoming less secular throughout the world. Now, this could be just because I am getting older and I am more aware of things going on around me, but I feel like more people have opinions about things. An example of this is saying the pledge of allegiance in school. Within the last seven years or so, there has been talk about not saying the pledge because it has the word 'God' in it. Going into high school is when I started seeing students not saying the pledge, now whether or not this was for religious reasons is yet to be discovered. I think society is going to be happier with being more secular, because everyone has a different view of things. If an issue were to address religion in it, then a lot of people would be unhappy, feeling like they would have to follow a doctrine that involves religion, especially if they are not religious. If an issue just doesn't address religion then everyone has the option of bringing religion into it or not.

As for different parts of the world, although I haven't even been out of the U.S. and can only speculate about this, I think there are probably parts that are becoming less secular. Things like poverty and hunger may play a factor in this. As more parts of the world encounter natural disasters, poverty, and hunger, they may turn to their religion and pray more, asking for help in their time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment