Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week 14 Blog: Who Has the Power?

Like I have stated before, I do not like talking about politics or anything closely related to them. Even reading through the different types of theories of democracy, I found it very difficult to form an opinion about what I thought, because I do not know much about our political system. I would mostly agree with the pluralist theory of democracy, stating that "citizens have little or no direct influence on political decision making" (pg. 400). When I think about change, I think of a large group making a change, not really one single person making a change. I think it would be safe to say that every person in the United States could come up with one thing they wanted to change with our government or with society, but one voice is not going to instantly make that change. It is the big political groups that really make voices heard. When it comes to competing interest groups, voices are going to be heard even more, because each group is going to want their point to across and they are going to want it to be louder and more in-your-face than the group next to them, so they will promote their interest even more and do whatever they can to promote the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment